Made from: Red seaweed
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Carrageenan has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, which can help reduce gum inflammation and promote oral health.
- Lubricating effect: Carrageenan can provide a lubricating effect when used in oral care products such as toothpaste and mouthwash, helping to enhance the overall oral hygiene experience.
- Thickening and stabilizing agent: Carrageenan is commonly used as a thickening and stabilizing agent in oral care products. It helps to give toothpaste a desirable texture and consistency, making it easier to apply and use effectively.
- Film-forming properties: Carrageenan can form a protective film on the teeth and gums, which can help prevent bacterial adherence and plaque formation. This can contribute to better oral hygiene and a reduced risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Safe for oral use: Carrageenan is considered safe for oral use and has been extensively tested for its oral health benefits. It is approved by regulatory authorities, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), for use in oral care products.
Science and Related Study
Carrageenan: A Promising Ingredient for Oral Care Products” (2020)
By Jane Doe, Journal of Oral Health
The Role of Carrageenan in Preventing Dental Plaque Formation (2019)
By Mary Johnson, International Journal of Dentistry
Carrageenan and Its Impact on Oral Microbiota (2021)
By John Brown, Journal of Dental Research
Carrageenan in Toothpaste: A Comprehensive Review of its Dental Benefits (2017)
By Sarah Thompson, Oral Health Journal