Made from: Potassium hydroxide (KOH)
- Desensitization: Potassium Nitrate is commonly used in toothpaste and oral gels for its desensitizing properties. It helps reduce tooth sensitivity by blocking the transmission of nerve signals from the tooth surface to the nerve endings.
- Relief from tooth sensitivity: By blocking the nerve signals responsible for tooth sensitivity, Potassium Nitrate provides relief from discomfort caused by hot or cold food and beverages.
- Improved patient compliance: Potassium Nitrate can enhance patient compliance with dental treatments. By reducing tooth sensitivity, it allows individuals to undergo procedures, such as professional cleanings or teeth whitening, with reduced discomfort.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Potassium Nitrate has mild anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate gum inflammation and sensitivity.
- Cavity prevention: Potassium Nitrate has been found to inhibit the growth of certain bacteria associated with tooth decay, potentially aiding in cavity prevention.
Science and Related Study
The Antibacterial Properties of Potassium Nitrate and their Impact on Dental Caries Prevention (2019)
By Oral Health Research Group
Potassium Nitrate: A Review of its Use in Dentistry (2018)
By Dental Journal